This blog is dedicated to all American Desis/ UK Desis/ Asian Desis whatsoever!
Its merely my thoughts regarding the issue with all due respect for the recognition you have got for yourself and your family with your hard work!!
Overheard the conversation of two employees, one of them who has just returned from on-site (US- whom I will refer as American Desi- A.D) and the other who has not yet got a chance to travel abroad. The conversation began with the American Desi being in full on complaining mood. A.D began narrating as to how progressive life there is, how health conscious people there are, how systematic things are. All this was nice to hear but my process of getting annoyed began at the same time when his comparisons began .
- It began with him saying we are an under developed country. (Lack of general knowledge, I heard we topped amongst the world's developing countries' list).
- Indians are all Corrupt. [I wanted to ask him first did he include himself when he said Indian and next, if he did face any issues while applying for Passport and if yes,what exactly did he do next to get it done? ;)]
- Oh! God the roads here are so dusty (Did you become allergic to dust form the US, because I recollect you being normal prior to it. My sympathies with you A.D!)
- I cannot have anything spicy man! Its not healthy too [I just have to remind him that he is from Andhra ;)]
- Whats with the roads in Bangalore man? Always under construction. [Hmmm.. don't think we can be a developed country over night A.D, take a breather! Oh. Yeah careful of the dust dude!! :p]
- We need to be more progressed and practical man. You should learn it from them.[ Forgot about learning you got from India once you went to US, next visit gulf if possible, you can learn belly dancing, China would be the best, you can then eat anything crawling and creeping in the ground!! Yo! Creepy fellow]
- Do I need to mention the accent and how horrible it sounds when it comes from them. Off late, in one of the shows I was shocked to see Madhuri indulging in the same. Not to mention how much I love and adore her, but when this came from her my stomach hurt real bad laughing.
This was one American Desi, I have no idea how many more suffer from this abroad return syndrome? I do not claim everyone is the same but I cannot certainly deny that none of them are! As a third party its exciting to hear about a different life they have, the places there, their lifestyle, food habits and certainly their culture. I myself would love to visit another country whenever I get a chance. But, it is most disgusting when you hear them complaining and cribbing about the place they are brought up in. Talk about getting a change, suggest how to go about it, but do not crib and make all of us feel disgusted about our own identity. Anyways, they aren't the only ones to be blamed, are they? We too are!
I don't really understand what is it that draws us towards the Western countries? All of us are part of this chaos, you who are reading this and me the one drafting. I neither deny the fact that they are developed, nor deny they cannot be taken in as a example. The only point of discussion here, is that we are forgetting our origin?. Everything is compared to them, An Indian company is compared to theirs, Our money is compared to theirs, Actors are compared to Hollywood actors, most of all a person like Sachin who has overdone already to prove himself when achieves another milestone is compared to another foreign cricketer. I ask aloud, Why don't we search for a Sachin/ Dhoni in their cricketers?
Why don't we search for a Amitabh Bachchan in Hollywood?
Why don't we search for a qualified PM like ours in another country?
I bet, you don't have an answer simply because they are the best.
Ever thought, why do we think that they are far more superior than us. I agree with the fact that they are developed with the latest technologies and scientific experiments being on their stride, but how does that make them superior? Why are we so self deprecating? As if the suppression by the Britishers wasn't enough, we have now begun degrading ourselves. Have not we still overcome from those suppressed past memories? This concept of we being inferior to them for absolute no reason is passed onto generations. I am not able to find a single area where we haven't contributed or foresee our incapability in anything. Adapting to another culture is one thing, but in the process considering your origin to be worthless is horrible.
I don't really know how are we going to be able to bring about this change. Indeed, its important for us to have pride for having a cultural heritage that dates back to centuries. In mere, 60+ years after independence we have done wonders, and in the years to come that will only continue.
Lastly, this is not intending to claim that we are superior of the whole lot instead I am only trying to tell that there is nothing in us that we have to be ashamed of. Nothing at all! Welcome all the culture and spread ours too! However, if you notice there is a slightest presence of A.D in you (not necessarily visiting from US, but having the inferiority complex) get rid of it this very moment!
Stop complaining instead work towards bringing about the change.